Saturday 11 April 2009

Shane Meadows






I am a huge film geek and feel a sense of pride when I see great work from Britain. The likes of Danny Boyle, Ridley Scott, Tony Kaye to name a few directors which have brought to life some of the most amazing stories. Tony Kaye's 'American History X' has to be one of the greatest films of my generation. Danny Boyle's incredible work on 'trainspotting' and '28 days later' was outstanding and are cemented in my DVD collection. Ridley Scott has made an unbelievable impact on Hollywood with numerous hits such as 'Gladiator', 'Black Hawk Down' and a current favourite of mine 'American Gangster'. All amazing films showing incredible vision and cinematography.

Shane Meadows has had recent success with his work on 'This Is England' from 2006 but its not just his current work which I have found a great inspiration. 'A room for Romeo Brass' from 1999 and 'Dead Man's Shoes' from 2004 were great examples of powerful British cinema. The fact that I can relate to the stories, feeling it could be happening in the town I live makes me have a connection with the film which I cant find in some of the Hollywood pics.
He also has a sharp eye for talent by casting the likes of Paddy Considine and Thomas Turgoose who made the characters they played unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment